In response to the current global COVID-19 pandemic, Mountain Bike Australia (MTBA) wish to make public its current position on its international competition activities.
In developing this position statement, consideration was given to a range of factors including but not limited to, how the COVID-19 pandemic has
• The general population worldwide.
• International MTB racing.
• Domestic and international travel restrictions and logistics.
• Short and long term health risks.
• MTBA’s duty of care towards its members and staff.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) currently advise there is a ban on overseas travel from Australia. Australian citizens cannot leave Australia without an exemption from DFAT.
As such, MTBA will not be conducting any national team campaigns or projects due to take place outside of Australia before 1 January 2021 with the following possible exceptions:
1. MTBA’s position may be reconsidered for campaigns and projects in New Zealand in the case there is a
government endorsed Trans-Tasman travel bubble.
2. MTBA’s position may be reconsidered for the 2020 UCI MTB World Championships, the 2020 MTB
Marathon World Championships, and federation entries to the remaining 2020 UCI Mountain Bike
When considering its position in relation to the above events, MTBA will consider a range of factors including but not limited to the most up-to-date DFAT position, the current COVID-19 position of the host country, information from the UCI and event organisers, and the ability of MTBA to provide the appropriate duty of care to their members and staff.
With all aforementioned being taken into account:
• A decision, in conjunction with Cycling Australia, on federation entries to the remaining 2020 UCI
Mountain Bike World Cups will be taken around but not later than 7 August, 2020. Note this does NOT
affect riders on UCI listed trade teams.
• A decision, in conjunction with Cycling Australia, on the 2020 UCI MTB World Championships
participation will be taken around but no later than 14 August, 2020.
There are no news related to MOUNTAIN BIKE AUSTRALIA POSITION STATEMENT ON INTERNATIONAL ACTIVITIES